Friday, July 3, 2009

Just a regular morning, you know, with the paper and monkeys

This morning I woke up without an alarm, read by the sunlight streaming through the window, bathed, had breakfast, drank sweet tea with milk, and read the paper. Now, I’m relaxing on the porch outside our guest house and alternating between computer and book. The wind blows through my hair, and verdant green is all around. People pass in and out of my periphery; I see them, and we nod. Even the monkeys are moving silently this morning. Everything is serene, and I feel as though I am being carried along by my natural morning rhythm. Then again, how can I have a rhythm when I’ve only been here for 3 days (my circadian clock is still 9 hours off!)? It’s amazing how quickly we can latch on to comfortable things in an unfamiliar place, and find a way to feel at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment